As a salaried worker, you may want to “maximize” your off days but “minimize” the days of leave to take.
What you can do is to apply leave on certain “strategic” days that are near weekends and public holidays.
As recommended by Sunday Times last week, these are the strategic days to apply leave:
- February 4, 5 & 6 (Mon, Tue & Wed). With 2 weekends and Chinese New Year, you enjoy a stretch of 9 days off. To extend this, you can also apply leave on February 11 and so on.
- May 2 (Fri). With Labour Day and 1 weekend, you get 4 days off.
- October 2 & 3 (Thu & Fri). With Hari Raya Aidilfitri and 1 weekend, 5 days off.
- October 27 (Mon). With 1 weekend and Deepavali, 4 days off. Note that the date for Deepavali may be adjusted.
- December 26 (Fri). Christmas and 1 weekend -> 4 days off.
Some public holidays already fall on Mondays (Vesak Day & Hari Raya Haji) and a Friday (Good Friday). With these and the strategy above, you get a total of 37 days off!