A bunker trader is someone who trades marine fuels and lubricants for employers such as banks and commodity trading houses.
This requires an excellent knowledge of the major bunkering markets in areas such as Singapore, Rotterdam, Fujairah, and Houston. Traders need to:
- Be highly-driven.
- Be confident (for making judgement calls and taking calculated risks).
- Have an outgoing personality and good interpersonal skills.
A bunker trader’s job includes:
- Identifying trading opportunities.
- Negotiating with suppliers, purchasing bunker fuels, selling them to ship owners or charterers.
- Working closely with agents at the various ports for the delivery of bunkers to the vessels.
A degree in one of the following areas: